Saturday, January 14, 2012

Google Chrome: What's With All those Processes?

Full disclosure: I love Google Chrome.  Ever since its release, I have not used another browser, be it my old beloved Firefox, Opera, and Internet Explorer.  However, one thing always kind of piqued my curiosity about my fast, relatively lightweight browsing friend, Chrome: why the heck does it fire off x processes (10 on this particular instance) of Chrome.exe at launch?

Hmm...Google Chrome phone home while I'm not looking, perhaps?
Upon some further digging, you can check out what's going on behind the scenes with Chrome by clicking on Tools --> View background pages



And this little window pops up...


Ah-ha...there is the answer to our question.  In this example, I had 10 processes of Chrome.exe fire off...to correspond with my extensions AND the tabs I currently have open in Chrome.

So, in case you were ever nervous about those excess processes that Chrome spawns, not to worry, it looks like they're there only to help enhance your web browsing experience.

At least, that's what Skynet wants us to think.  

No comments: